Classes take place on
Friday: 2.45pm -3.30pm
Saturday: 3-4 year olds 11.15am -12.00pm
5-6 year olds 12.45pm-1.30pm
SAM has an exciting programme for our youngest musical maestros, designed by our expert and experienced tutors Lorraine Howley and Clare Horler.
Musical Explorers (suitable for students from 3 up to 6 years of age) is a fun filled way of introducing children to the pleasure of music making. The program is designed to prepare the young child who is eager for first experiences with music reading and instrumental discovery but is not yet ready for formal lessons.
The tutors will take the children on an exciting musical journey introducing them to all the different instruments in the orchestra. The children relish having fun through singing, dancing, art and basic musicianship, without realising that the songs have been carefully chosen to explore the different musical concepts – rhythm, pitch, melody, dynamics, tempo, character, form and style – in an enjoyable and stimulating but structured way.
All of this ultimately leads to an intrinsic understanding and love of music. By the age of 5 or 6, children are learning to sight sing, along with the basics of reading and writing stick notation. It is at this stage that they can choose an instrument to learn.
• Singing and vocal development using many genres of pop, jazz and traditional music.
• Dancing. In the classes the children respond to music through movement. This kind of musical play not only improves musicianship, but physical coordination as well.
• Reading and writing. Children learn the basics of melodic notation and identify pitches such as La, So and Mi plus rhythmic notation.We also do some simple composition, where children make up a soundtrack to a story.
• Focused listening. Your child will learn to identify a range of orchestral instruments and their sound qualities.
• Exploring and playing musical instruments. Students will have the opportunity to see different musicians demonstrate their particular instrument and expose the children to the many choices available for future musical study. The class will then be given the opportunity to try the various instruments throughout the year. In conjunction with advice from Lorraine and Clare you and your child will then be well equipped to choose the most appropriate instrument for continuing their musical journey at the Sligo Academy of Music.
Classes are 45 minutes duration.
Exploring the French Horn: https://youtu.be/ByjlKP4jwfg
Exploring the Trombone: https://youtu.be/nNP3VKvEYmo
Exploring the Bassoon: https://youtu.be/PYHSwJ1nvLk